1968 Flashback: Campbell's and the Food Groups
In the 1968 revised edition of Easy Ways to Delicious Meals (204 pages), the Campbell Soup Company was still working to help homemakers incorporate the Campbell brands of convenience foods into their meal planning.
This hardcover cookbook contains 465 quick-to-fix recipes, has a spiral wire binding and is illustrated with color photographs.
In the front of the book they demonstrated how their brands easily fit into the recommended Four Basic Food Groups of the Daily Food Guide. They have the four groups divided as follows:
1. Milk, Cheese, Ice Cream
2. Meat, Poultry, Fish, Eggs
3. Vegetables and Fruits
4. Cereals, Bread, Macaroni, Noodles, Rice
Campbell's Soups (Condensed and Frozen)
1. Soups that contribute to the Milk Group: Cheddar Cheese, Clam Chowder (New England Style), Cream of Asparagus, Cream of Celery, Cream of Chicken, Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Potato, Cream of Shrimp (frozen), Oyster Stew.
2. Soups that contribute to Meat Group: Bean with Bacon, Beef, Beef Broth, Chicken & Stars, Chicken Vegetable, Chili Beef, Consomme, Cream of Shrimp (Frozen), Green Pea with Ham (Frozen), Oyster Stew (Frozen) Pepper Pot, Scotch Broth, Split Pea with Ham, Vegetable Beef.
3. Soups that Contribute to Vegetable Group: Bisque of Tomato, Chicken Vegetable, Clam Chowder (Manhattan Style), Cream of Asparagus, Cream of Potato, Green Pea, Minestrone, Scotch Broth, Spit Pea with Ham, Tomato, Tomato Rice, Vegetable, Vegetable Beef, Vegetarian Vegetable.
4. Soups that contribute to Cereal Group: Beef Noodle, Chicken Gumbo, Chicken Noodle, Chicken Rice, Chicken & Stars, Minestrone, Noodles & Ground Beef, Scotch Broth, Tomato Rice, Turkey Noodle.
Campbell's Beans: These canned products contribute to both the Meat and Vegetable Groups. Products include Barbecue Beans, Beans & Franks, Beans & Ground Beef, Pork & Beans.
Franco-American Spaghetti-Macaroni: These canned products contribute to Cereal-Macaroni Group. In addition, several contribute to Milk-Cheese Group and Meat Group (as you can tell from listed ingredients). Products include Macaroni with Cheese Sauce, Macaroni 'n Beef in Tomato Sauce, Italian Style Spaghetti, Spaghetti in Tomato Sauce with Cheese, Spaghetti 'n Beef in Tomato Sauce, Spaghetti with Meatballs.
Bounty Main Dishes: These canned products contribute to Meat Group and Vegetable Group. Products include Beef and Chicken Stews, and Chili con Carne.
Swanson Frozen Meat Pies: Contribute to Meat Group, Vegetable Group and Cereal Group: These include Beef, Chicken, Tuna, Turkey.
Swanson Frozen Prepared Dinners: Contribute to Meat Group as well as Vegetable Group and Cereal Group. These include Beans and Franks, Beef, Chopped Sirloin, corned Beef Hash, Filet of Haddock, Fish 'n' French Fires, Fired Chicken, Fried Shrimp, Ham Loin of Pork, Macaroni and Cheese, Meat Loaf, Salisbury Steak, Scallop, Spaghetti and Meatballs, Swiss Steak, Turkey.
The passage of time has changed the Basic Food Groups (there are now five) and some of the Campbell's products listed above are no longer available. It's fun to glimpse back to 1968 to see some of the products offered and compare them to the ones available now.