November 24, 2005

Eagle Brand Chocolate Cheesecake

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope you all will have a lovely day.

Yesterday I did a little pre-Thanksgiving baking. I tried a new (for me) recipe from a 1986 issue of Best of Favorite Recipes Magazine, Quick & Easy Desserts (96 pages). This issue featured Borden Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk as the main name brand ingredient in all the recipes.

Yes, like everyone else, I use a lot of Eagle Brand Milk during the holidays. Most of the time I still use my trusty Joy of Cheesecake cookbook for cheesecakes, as it's never failed me yet. But I thought I'd try something different this time and used the Luscious Baked Chocolate Cheesecake recipe from the magazine, partially because it was marked as "Super Quick". Also because Eagle Brand was on sale at the grocery, and I stocked up on several cans.

This recipe, as it happens, is the one shown on the cover. (Did I subconsciously choose this recipe due to that?)

It was indeed, super quick to put together, and I even used my hand mixer rather than my big stand mixer.

We cut into it last night. The crust wasn't soggy; the texture of the cheesecake itself was good, which meant to me that the cooking time of 65 minutes was just right.

It did have a very powerful chocolate flavor, and although I would have preferred that the chocolate flavor and the crust be a bit sweeter, I thought it turned out well. I used the semi-sweet chocolate chips. I believe it could benefit from a drizzle of raspberry sauce as garnish, so I'll fix that up today for the rest of the servings.

LUSCIOUS BAKED CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE (Super Quick)

1/3 cup margarine or butter, melted
1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4-cup sugar
3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (not evaporated milk)
1 (12-ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips or 8 (1-ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Combine margarine, crumbs and sugar; press firmly on bottom of 9-inch springform pan. In large mixer bowl, beat cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour and 5 minutes or until set. Cool. Chill thoroughly. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

Makes one 9-inch cheesecake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home