December 15, 2007

A Meat Loaf Train

Last night I was looking through 100 Ways to Be Original in All Your Cooking (not dated, 47 pages). This was a booklet promoting the use of Worcestershire Sauce, probably published sometime in the early 1960s.

A lot of things cross my mind while I'm cataloging these old cookbooks.

My thoughts range from from "I wish I were eating that right now" to "why do people keep their things in smelly old basements and leaky storage sheds?"

I rarely poke fun at the contents of the cookbooks although many things about some of them are humorous. James Lileks does an excellent job in this area already. I tend to just look at it like these books are part of our culinary history, and they are what they are, warts and all.

There are exceptions, however, and the recipe for a Meat Loaf Train is one of them.



A Meat Loaf Train? My immediate reaction was "They're kidding, right?" In case there's any doubt, those are mashed potatoes underneath the train.

4 Comments:

At 6:36 PM CST, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Okay -- first off, I'll admit that I have a great fondness for meatloaf, no matter what the shape. You can look at this as an oddity, or you can view it as a test kitchen chef that was way ahead of his or her time! I have had many a meal in a NY restaurant where my food, mainly dessert, has been shaped like something. I remember one called a "Walk in the Park" that included a chocolate park bench and a lamp post. I am intimately familiar with cakes that look like something else, the Watermelon Cake being a favorite of mine. I suspect the molding properties of meatloaf and mashed potatoes made this project just too good to pass up!

 
At 8:49 PM CST, Blogger Kathy said...

t.w. - I have one friend in mind whose mother I can picture going to the trouble to make this. I hope I can remember to ask.

 
At 6:45 AM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy, Sorry it took so long to respond but I haven't been checking my Come To A Kettledrum blog much as I am putting it on the back burner to concentrate on my Months of Edible Celebrations Blog and calendar. You have the ideal blog and I just LOVE it! I will return. Can't say I have seen this recently posted cookbook but I have encountered some "unusual" recipes in those Worcestershire books. Enjoy! Louise

 
At 8:40 AM CST, Blogger Kathy said...

Louise - There are quite a few "normal" recipes in this booklet - it's the Teen and Frozen Food sections that are a bit outlandish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home