February 21, 2008

Kraft Miniature Marshmallows

I'm not really a marshmallow person, that is to say, I like them, but don't eat them all that frequently. They're an ingredient in the Rice Krispie Treats, Jell-O salads and Candied Sweet Potatoes that I sample occasionally in pot luck situations, but I'm not going out of my way to buy a bag or make my own.

This little pamphlet, Kraft Miniature Marshmallows: Recipes for Cooking-Salads-Desserts (not dated, 12 pages), contains many of the recipes that I have either prepared or eaten over the years that do contain marshmallows as an ingredient.


You can see all of the recipes found inside on the little tabs of the pages. That's rather convenient.

Although I like marshmallows in fruit salads every once in a while, the thought of these Peach-Mallow Nests don't do much for me. Look at the metal ice tray (referred to as a refrigerator freezing tray) in the illustration for the Caramel Mallow. I'll bet there aren't too many of those around anymore.


This broiled marshmallow frosting is quite different from the marshmallow frosting I made for this cake the other day. Their version doesn't look very appetizing.


The last page of the pamphlet shows how the bag of Kraft Miniature Marshmallows looked back then. I found a 1956 magazine advertisement that shows this same bag.


The ad shows some of the recipes found in the booklet, except they're in color. The Fruit and Marshmallow Salad, the Applesauce Dessert and the Marshmallow Fluff are shown.


There's a small number printed on the bottom edge of the pamphlet - 551005. If I were to guess, particularly after seeing the magazine ad, I'd say that it was a date code, for sometime in 1955, perhaps October 10, but maybe 1005 is a publication number.

The pamphlet could be obtained for free by writing to Kraft.

2 Comments:

At 7:37 PM CST, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

So in this case, Marshmallow Fluff is a moulded dessert. I wouldn't eat a lot of this either, but the recipes are pretty fascinating. Imagine having so much marshmallow in ones diet?

 
At 4:19 AM CST, Blogger Kathy said...

T.W. - I eat most of my marshmallows during the holidays. I imagine the marshmallow people would like to see them on the table year round.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home