March 12, 2008

Dixie Margarine

This small brochure is for an oleomargarine product whose brand name is unfamiliar to me. Dixie Recipes That Bring Smiles of Pleasure (undated, foldout) was published by The Capital City Products Co. of Columbus, Ohio and is advertising Dixie Vegetable Oleomargarine. It looks like the 1940s era to me.

Although their "new flavor discovery" is mentioned several times, it doesn't go into any detail about exactly what that discovery is. There is, however, a picture of a scientist with a microscope and copy stating that ten years of research went into this new discovery.


When folded completely out, the brochure measures about 9-1/2 by 12-1/2 inches. One side shows a woman chef beating on a metal dishpan with her ladle and the words "Come and Get It!"

When did the metal dishpans fall out of favor? My grandmother was still using one in 1988.


The rest of this page is given over to nine recipes with color photos. Three of the photos show the one pound block of Dixie Margarine. There are recipes for Dixie Butterscotch Bars, Thin Sugar Cookies, a Dixie Yellow Layer Cake, a Potato Souffle, Peach Crisp Pudding, Spicy Raisin Cookies, Dixie Pecan Rolls, Apple Pancakes and Macaroni-Chili Casserole (a dish I've never been fond of).

I do like the other side of the brochure which shows a nice large illustration of the Dixie Vegetable Oleomargarine product package. You can read the fine print not visible in the other illustration: "Vitamin Fortified - 2 ozs. supplies 47% of the minimum adult and 62% child daily Vitamin "A" requirements." and 15,000 U.S.P. units of Vitamin "A" added. Artificially Flavored - 1/10 of 1% Sodium Benzoate added as a preservative."


This side also has a recipe for Dixie Fruit Cake which calls for one cup of the Dixie product.



4 Comments:

At 9:28 PM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Back in the days when Butter was the enemy! If you've seen Saveur Magazine, you'll see butter has made a huge comeback.

 
At 3:03 AM CDT, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

The scientist and his microscope crack me up. Somehow I think of a microscope as viewing something yucky like a germ, not improving a food.

 
At 7:54 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

T.W. - I have always used butter, even when it was supposed to be bad for me. In moderation, of course.

Rochelle - I relate microscopes with germs too.

 
At 2:00 AM CDT, Anonymous Dave Gott said...

I worked at Dixie Margarine in Columbus, Ohio so I know what went into their margarine. How can I get their cookbook? Dave G.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home