July 04, 2008

Early Armour Products

I'm always curious about food products from the past and my collection of advertising cookbooks provides me with a great deal of information on the subject. Had I the resources and the space, I would probably be collecting vintage product packaging along with the cookbooks.

Sometimes the illustrations in these old cookbooks and recipe booklets provide me with a glimpse of the actual products and their packaging that I wouldn't be able to find elsewhere.

Armour and Company published a booklet, The Business of Being a Housewife - A Manual to Promote Household Efficiency and Economy (1917, 60 pages) that contains several nice illustrations of their ham and bacon products and some of the products from their Veribest line of foods.

Armour's Veribest Sliced Bacon


Armour's Star Ham and Bacon


Armour's Veribest Canned Meats, Fish, Vegetables, Evaportated Milk, Ketchup, and Peanut Butter


Armour's Veribest "Simon Pure" Leaf Lard


Armour's Silverchurn Oleomargarine


Armour's Bouillon Cubes


Armour's Extract of Beef


Armour's Veribest Eggs and Cloverbloom Butter


Armour's Grape Juice


Armour's Canned Florida Yellow Cling Peaches


Armour's Devonshire Farm Style Sausage and Sausage Meat

1 Comments:

At 8:22 AM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Wow! Kathy you have quite a booklet there.

I've never seen it before. The illustrations are quite the added bonus. So colorful too. They really do give a glimpse of product history. (without the added packaging:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home