July 23, 2008

Food Pictures

Every once in a while I come across some food photography that I really, really like. Sometimes I find it in recipe booklets or on recipe cards and other times it might be in a magazine or catalog. There's an awful lot of good stuff on the web too.

Somehow I've managed to miss seeing these very clever print ads from the Beef Checkoff people in the magazines. Their Beefscapes advertising campaign is promoting the "Power of Lean Beef" to consumers and they've managed to create some tasty-looking mountains, a beach, a river, some flatlands, a canyon and a cliff from mere pieces of meat. These ads will stick in my mind for a long time to come.

Every once in a while I receive a catalog in the mail from Allen Brothers (the Steakhouse Steaks people). The photographs of the rare beef, veal and lamb in their catalog look so appetizing it almost makes me cry. I LOVE rare beef. Order your own catalog from their website and see for yourself.

Despite finding it difficult to let go of postcards, recipe booklets, cookbooks and all other manner of ephemera and useless paper, I don't seem to have a problem with stray catalogs piling up. These are about the only ones I keep. I'm sure my heirs will thank me someday.

4 Comments:

At 3:35 PM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I always wish that when I cook beef it would turn out the same way as it looks in the photos. It doesn't. The expensive cashmere sweater also usually doesn't look quite as good as it does in the photo ...

 
At 6:32 PM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Kathy, you sound so much like me it's somewhat eerie. I even save the book marks tucked in between the pages and scraps of recipe clippings.

Thanks for the tip about Allen Brothers, I take it they have a good product?

 
At 7:12 PM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

T.W. - Just goes to show how skilled those photographers really are!

Louise - I'm glad to hear there is someone else who likes to save paper. I actually haven't ever ordered from Allen Brothers--I let the steakhouses serve it to me instead. Too pricey for me to accidentally overcook.

 
At 1:10 AM CDT, Blogger Lidian said...

Yes, I know just what you mean - my DDs are going to be SO pleased with the mountains of old magazines, pamphlets and cookbooks I have amassed over the years (and still going at it...)

Love your blog!

Lidian

http://kitchenretro.wordpress.com

(Blogger insists that I write under my other blog persona!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home