October 20, 2008

Recipes Lost and Found

Another Karo cookbook again today. No, I promise this isn't turning into the Karo Syrup blog. It's just a coincidence.

It's getting close to the holidays again. That means lots of cookbook and recipe inquiries for Karo Syrup and Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk. Sometimes I think those must be the two most popular holiday cooking ingredients besides turkey.

I promised a lady on the telephone this morning that I would post this recipe. She called to see if it was in one of the Karo cookbooks. Her recipe got lost in a wildfire.

I also posted the recipe here, where there's a link to a format that's easily printable.

CHEWY BUTTERSCOTCH BARS

1-1/3 cups sifted cake flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup Mazola or Nucoa margarine
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 cup chopped nuts
1 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla

Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Cream sugar and margarine, beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in nuts, coconut, and vanilla, then dry ingredients. Spread batter evenly in a well-greased, lightly floured 11x15x1-inch pan. Prepare topping and drizzle while hot over batter. Bake in 350°F. (moderate) oven 1/2 hour. Cool in pan 1/2 hour. Cut into bars and remove carefully from pan.

Topping
Stir 3/4 cup brown sugar with 2 tablespoons Mazola or Nucoa margarine, 3 tablespoons light cream and 1/4 cup Karo Blue Label Syrup in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, to 234°F. or until a little mixture forms a soft ball in very cold water. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Drizzle over batter.



I promised another recipe a couple of weeks ago, but that lady probably already has her cookbook by now and doesn't need it. She had lost the original that was in a booklet that came with her International Cookware. I hope the mail was faster than I was in posting this recipe.

GARDEN FRESH CREAMY CAULIFLOWER SOUP

1 medium cauliflower head
2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 T. butter
2/3 c. chopped onion
2 T. flour
2 c. half and half
1/2 t. worcestershire sauce
3/4 t. salt
1 c. grated Cheddar cheese
Chopped Parsley

6 servings

Cut cauliflower heads into tiny flowerets. Cook in 3 cups boiling water in 2 quart saucepan until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add bouillon cubes. Set aside.

Melt butter in 3 quart saucepan; add onion and cauliflower gradually, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Stir in half and half, worcestershire sauce, and asalt. Heat to boiling; stir in cheese. Garnish with parsley.
*****************

To Nancy, who lost her A.1. Sauce booklet in Hurricane Katrina: I'm still looking for that one.

To the folks who have called because of my listing for a Popeil's Automatic Pasta Maker booklet and who are looking for replacement parts or have questions regarding the product: I'm sorry I can't help you--I only have the one copy of the recipe and instruction booklet. Maybe Ronco can help if you contact them. Good luck.

4 Comments:

At 10:30 PM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Anything with coconut is pretty heavenly. These folks are lucky you've got the resources you do.

 
At 10:28 AM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy,
It's refreshing to know I'm not the only one who gets cards, letters, emails, and phone calls requesting additions for uncompleted collections and lost recipes. You gave excellent advice. I can't help with the Easy Everyday Cooking cards because I'm not familar with them but, what A1 book does Nancy need? I may be able to help with that one. You see, it must be in our nature to preserve, share and be practical...GREAT post!

P.S. I like your comment form. How'd you do it??

 
At 11:20 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

Monique - I wondered about that. I am so sorry! It's been deleted.

louise - I don't think I did anything. I just noticed that it's appearing differently. I think Blogger is "working" on things this morning. This blog is the old style blogger format, I didn't ever switch it to the new. Maybe they are prodding change-resistant folks such as myself along. :)

 
At 8:09 AM CST, Blogger Cookie Madness said...

Thanks for stopping by Cookie Madness. I just love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home