October 06, 2008

A Return to Regular Programming

I'm finally released from my sales duties in the Texas countryside where the lack of an internet conection for the major portion of each day has left me way behind in the goings-on in the blog world, not to mention all the breaking news that I now must read about after the fact. (I'm a bit of a news junkie.)

The show was fun although the traffic was bit light this Fall. Whether or not the smaller crowd was due to the hurricane, the economy or the upcoming election, it was fodder for endless speculation amongst the hundreds of vendors found up and down the roads.

I was able to visit with old flea market friends that I don't see regularly anymore, and who don't quite understand what it is I do with all these old cookbooks and the internet. Most of the time, their eyes tend to glaze over whenever I mention a computer. I've found it easiest to just reply "I sell cookbooks" when they ask what I'm doing now. Selling, they can relate to; blogging and maintaining websites, mostly not their cup of tea.

I got a glimpse of the queen of Shabby Chic, Rachel Ashwell, and I continue to be amazed by her ability to walk through heaps of old furniture and salvaged items, knowing exactly what she's looking for and picking it out in record time. Sadly, I lack her talent which enables one to make a silk purse out of what many would consider to be a sow's ear.

Foodwise, I met a nice young couple from Yonder Way Farm, located in a neighboring town, who have ventured into the world of grass-fed beef and pastured pork and poultry. I look forward to a visit to their farm after I've caught up with things around here.


I'm embarrassed to say that on account of my absence, I'm also late to acknowledge my very first blog award, given to me by Louise over at Months of Edible Celebrations. Thanks, Louise! I'll have to think about what to do now, but I must confess that I'm more of a blog reader than a commenter. I read a lot of blogs, food-related and otherwise, but I tend to stay in the background for the most part. Perhaps I need to work on that!


Below you'll find one last scrap of information that might be useful to you from the Corn Products Cook Book and then we'll put that one to rest. (Finally! some of you may be thinking.)

These tips concern Kingsford's Corn Starch and Karo Syrup, the products highlighted in the booklet. I see no reason why some of them might not still be viable today.

Miscellaneous Suggestions

  • When baking ham, if Karo Syrup is substituted for brown sugar to nmix with the bread crumbs and yolk of egg with which it is covered before the final browning, a finer flavor will be obtained.
  • Brushing pastry lightly with Karo Syrup will give it that fine glaze considered so desirable.
  • A tablespoon Karo Syrup stirred into griddle cakes (not enough to sweeten) will materially assist in the process of browning. A small proportion of Kingsford's Cornstarch will improve their texture.
  • When cooking with Karo Srup over a quick fire, to prevent from possibility of burning, drop in three or four stone marbles ("agates," as the boys call them). The heat will keep these constantly on the move and will not only prevent the burning but will do most of the stirring.
  • In making cakes, etc., where Karo Syrup is used, alwasy stir the soda into the syrup.
  • If your fire is quite hot and you are afraid that your Karo Syrup will boil over, butter the inside of the vessel about two inches from the top. The syrup will not rise higher than the butter.
  • In making panckaes, use one-third Kingsford's Cornstarch instead of all flour.
  • When eggs are scarse and several are used, a teaspoonful Kingsford's Cornstarch may be used very satisfactorily in place of one egg.
  • All kinds of crusts, steamed puddings and dumplings are much better when part Kingsford's Cornstarch is used in place of all flour.
  • When short of cream in an emergency, Kingsford's Cornstarch, with milk and egg, makes a good substitute.
  • To prevent icing from running off while being spread, lightly dust the cake with Kingsford's Cornstarch.
  • A little Kingsford's Cornstarch introduced into a juicy fruit pie, such as rhubarb, cherry, etc., prevents its running over.
  • A pinch of Kingsford's Cornstarch is fine to powder candies, such as marshmallows, etc.
  • The wholesomeness of Kingsford's Cornstarch, and the ease with which it is assimilated, makes it much more desirable than flour for things prepared for the very young, the very old, the delicate.


And now my Dad has just delivered to me 27 pounds of freshly picked pears that he got this weekend while visiting Canton First Monday Trade Days.

Note to Self: Add Pear Butter to Things to Do list.

And now I'm off to catch up on my reading.

4 Comments:

At 8:37 PM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy,
Where do I begin?

1. I'm so glad you've returned to "regular programming." I for one missed your posts!
2. You are so very welcome for your award. It gave me as much pleasure to "pay it forward" as it did receiving it.
3. Rachael Ashwell! You lucky girl. I can't seem to find her show on TV anymore.
4. I always appreciate your comments when you visit and I'm sure others feel the same. I must admit I thought I was going to stay in the background too...
5. You missed my Blogaversary!! Drop by...

 
At 1:50 PM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Welcome back -sounds like it was an interesting time. I always love those artists renditions of cakes - I wish mine looked that elegant in real life. And if you're looking to use up some pears, let me know!

 
At 6:38 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

louise - Thanks for the welcome back. Congratulations on your Blogaversary.

T.W. - I got tired of peeling pears after 8 of them, which resulted in one pint of pear butter. More today, perhaps in a larger batch. I need more hours in the day!

 
At 4:37 AM CDT, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

I have a magazine article about snack cakes from 1981. All the cakes are made with 1-1/4 cups flour and 1/4 cup cornstarch. I have tried several of them and they are good. I don't know what the reason for the cornstarch is as they are heavy snack cakes, not light fluffy cakes. Anyway the idea of using the cornstarch in baking is still around.
Too bad the crowds weren't as good this year, but I guess there were better bargins for those that showed up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home