January 20, 2009

Vintage Revere Ware

This booklet, Revere's Guide to Better Cooking (1941, 32 pages), probably came with the purchase of a set of Revere Ware pots and pans. The publication date is only a couple of years after the cookware's introduction at the 1939 Chicago Housewares Show.

The covers and the interior pages of the booklet all are printed with the patriotic color scheme of red, white and blue.

Revere Copper and Brass Incorporated of Rome, NY was the manufacturer of the cookware at the time of this book's publication.

The booklet has a short intro about the benefits of waterless cooking and why Revere Ware was the product that would ensure success in this area. There are a few recipes included as well as instructions on caring for and using the cookware.

The positive attributes of the cookware were the copper clad bottoms that were good for even distribution of heat and the stainless steel which provided for "easier cleaning, greater beauty, greater sanitation." They use Dieticians and Chefs as the experts recommending the product. You can click on any of the smaller photos below to enlarge.

One page lists some of Revere Ware's "Extra Features" such as the bakelite handles and the self-sealing lids. No hiding places for germs is an additional benefit.

Tips for keeping your Revere Ware looking "Spotlessly New" are shown on another page.

This is from the Vegetable Cooking Guide, telling how to prepare Spinach, Squash and Turnips in Revere Ware.

Preparing dried fruit, Baked Apples and Applesauce is shown on this page.

This page shows an eleven piece set which was chosen by a jury of "influential women" as being a collection of the most essential pieces.

Another page shows the All Pupose Set:

What I find most interesting are the two pages in the rear of the booklet that show the then-current pieces in the Revere Ware product line. Each piece is illustrated and shows the catalog number, dimensions and capacity.


These two pages can be useful today for cooks who are looking for pieces to fill out their collections.

6 Comments:

At 9:42 PM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy, Glad your back! I just got back from PA and was delighted to see your recent post. I once had quite a few appliance booklets. When I was forced to weedle a few out, the appliance books were the first to go:( Gee, I wish I still had them.

Thank you so much for sharing this book. I often see Revere Ware at auctions in PA. They look rather sturdy and I have been tempted to bid on them.

 
At 6:34 AM CST, Blogger Kathy said...

Louise - I am glad to be back! I like the appliance booklets because they remind me of the times when even small appliances were made to last. You should try some of the Revere Ware. I only have one older 2-qt. saucepan (no lid) that I found at a Goodwill. I really like it a lot, especially compared to some of the newer Chinese made items.

 
At 9:24 AM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Thanks for the advice Kathy. I'm looking forward to auction time in PA and now, I have something else to seek out besides cookbooks!

 
At 9:42 PM CST, Blogger P-Dot said...

Hi to you both and I wish I had my old Revere Ware back. I got rid of it for the newer stuff that has since worn out....planned obsolescence..but alas I didn't know that at the time.
I have a mish mosh of stuff now and most of it I wouldn't buy or recommend to anyone. That is a good idea to start looking for some of it at the 2nd hand stores. I was doing that with cast iron until I realized it makes the arthritic hands hurt worse. Drat the aging...

 
At 10:28 AM CST, Blogger Diversified said...

P-Dot, there are plenty of vintage Revere Ware pots and pans on eBay now, and you can refurbish them with new handles and such from www.reverewareparts.com. Don't give up on it yet.

 
At 12:58 PM CST, Blogger P-Dot said...

Diversified - Just the other day I have a friend mention her desire to replace her Revere Ware and I am keeping close in her wake. When she puts the new ones in the cupboard I will be ever so helpful to her in the removal process. Removed to my cupboard that is.
I have looked at some of it in the thrift stores and at yard sales over the years but it is usually pretty beat up. I had never considered new handles, etc. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home