March 30, 2009

Bisquick Summer Recipes

If you've ever been a regular reader of women's magazines, you'll know that occasionally some issues contain a recipe insert from one food company or another. I used to see them in Womans Day, Family Circle, McCalls, Redbook, Better Homes and Gardens and others of that ilk all the time.

This particular insert, The Bisquick "No Time to Cook" summer recipe book (1978, 8 pages) came from a Good Housekeeping magazine.


These magazine inserts are not as common as other recipe booklets, probably because they were thrown away with the magazine itself. However, sometimes the insert would have been removed from the magazine and saved along with other newspaper and magazine recipe clippings. (I probably don't need to tell you that I was one of the savers.)

This booklet also had an offer for the Betty Crocker's Bisquick Cookbook which could be obtained by mailing in three Bisquick box bottoms. It was a hardcover three plastic rings inside that held seven separate booklets: Holiday Hospitality, Strictly Thrifty Meals, Mobile Meals, Be-My-Gues Best, Love & Friendship Foods, Ameriacn Favorites, Foreign Flair, with an Index for the over 200 recipes contained within, and Basic Bakings, the seven basic bakings for Bisquick baking mix.


One of the recipes from the insert is shown below, along with their photo of the prepared dish. The Zucchini Appetizers are on the lower half of the plate.




There is another booklet from General Mills that was published later with this very same title, except that it one of a series of Bisquick recipe booklets. This Bisquick "No Time to Cook" Summer Recipe Book - Volume III (1980, 8 pages) came from a Ladies Home Journal and the recipes are entirely different from the earlier version.

10 Comments:

At 10:28 AM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

So, I've got this box of Bisquick that I'm trying to use up. Maybe I'll make the zucchini appetizers this week. I do love these "miracle" products that can solve every kitchen dilemma!

 
At 12:04 PM CDT, Blogger P-Dot said...

I love, love, love Bisquick recipes. I am always posting something or other using it. It was probably a booklet
like that one that got me started, but years earlier, for sure.
Hope you get to feeling better. I'm also a little physically challenged lately so my sympathies go out to you.
Penni

 
At 9:42 AM CDT, Blogger P-Dot said...

Here is a great way to use up that box of Bisquick. This one is really good. My Mother's neighbor made it and gave me some and I have made it ever since. It was in the Everett, Washington newspaper in 1966.
2 C Bisquick
2/3 C milk
1/3 c water
3 eggs
1/2 t salt and 1/8 t pepper
2 cans tuna, drained (in those days probably oil packed)
1/2 c shredded cheese
1Tb. chopped onion
1/4 c pimento
1/3 c celery
Grease 9 x 9 x 2 pan. Blend 1st 6 ingredients. Beat well 30 seconds.
Mix in 1 1/2 cans tuna, 1/4 C cheese, onion, pimento and celery.
Spread in pan. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake at 400 for 30 to
35 minutes
Serve with sauce
SAUCE
Gradually add 1 C milk and 2/3 c water to 2 Tb Bisquick, 1/2 t salt and pepper.
Add remaining tuna. Heat to boiling. Boil 1 minute.
It is quite good.

 
At 3:48 PM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hey Kathy,
Glad to "see" you. I've actually made those zucchini appetizers and they were pretty darn good. I usually keep my Bisquick booklet in the kitchen draw just for emergencies. The stuff works GREAT in a pinch!

 
At 4:34 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

T.W. - I'm saving this recipe for the zucchini from the garden this summer. And there's always Dumplings!

P-Dot - Thanks for the well wishes and the recipe. Hope you're feeling better soon too!

Louise - Thanks for the personal recommendation on the zucchini recipe. I'm afraid I always fall back on those Bisquick Sausage Cheese Balls when I'm looking for a snack or appetizer.

 
At 1:28 PM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

The zucchini recipe freezes well which is a bonus when the garden is overflowing. I stuff the blossoms and freeze the appetizers. YUM!!!

I never tried the sausage cheese balls though. Thanks Kathy:)

 
At 4:14 AM CDT, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

I have that booklet and the cookbook it mentions. I love Bisquick and use it quite often. I think I have most of the booklets except the ones from their Bisquick recipe club. Wish I had signed up for that when it was active.

 
At 6:30 AM CDT, Blogger P-Dot said...

Hi Kathy,
It's Marilyn Monroe. I am not ready to post the answer just yet. I was so surprised when I found this I just HAD to post it. She was beautiful without all the fouf....

 
At 7:16 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

Louise - The Sausage Cheese Balls are all fat except the Bisquick--probably why I like them so well. :-) I haven't ever tried the blossoms.

Rochelle - I never signed up for the Bisquick Recipe Club either--can't remember why. I probably didn't want to send off the money as I liked free offers. It seems like items from the recipe club are hard to come by.

P-Dot - I would have never guessed her. She does look much nicer in that photo.

 
At 4:45 PM CDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks P-dot I have been looking for that tuna bisquick recipe for months now. My kids use to love it and they asked me how to make it. I could not find my recipe. This sounds like the one I use to make. Thanks again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home