April 12, 2009

Wilton Easter Circa 1963

I came across this old Wilton's Wonderland of Cake Decorating Supplies 1961-1962 catalog this morning while I was looking for a cookbook with an Easter theme. In light of the fact that I'm supposed to be getting ready to head out the door any minute, I stopped my search right there.

The catalog's all in black and white except for the cover:



If one were looking for ideas for decorating cakes or cookies for Easter this booklet had several items you could order that would fit the bill.

I've never seen any of these little chicks that survived through the years, but if I did, I'd sure want them. I already have lots of little Christmas decorations like these.



The first row shows the Easter "Quickie" Cake Top:

And if you're into baking cookies, there were several Easter themed sets to choose from:

Wish I had time to hunt up the McCall's magazine article that used this Lamb Mold:



Everyone's waiting on me, so I'd better run.

Have a Happy Easter!!


5 Comments:

At 10:36 AM CDT, Blogger P-Dot said...

My Grandmother, who raised me, used to make a lamb cake for me when I was little. Her lamb pan was heavy like cast iron. She would frost it with white icing and cover that with coconut. The lamb was reclining on a bed of green dyed coconut and it always had a pink satin ribbon around it's neck.
In 1996 I helped a neighbor move and found a box with a lamb mold in it and commented on what special memories that had for me.
When my B'day rolled around some time later, low and behold, she presented me with the lamb cake. Of course I cried.....I had forgotten about it but she hadn't. Thanks for reminding me of some special memories.
Hope you had a good weekend!
Penni

 
At 12:27 PM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

Penni - What a great story--and a special friend to do that for you!

 
At 2:29 AM CDT, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

Someone still makes the fuzzy little chicks. I have some plain ones I bought just a few years ago. They sure are cute. I have some old Wilton books that I was going to donate but then I saw people actually buy them on eBay so one of these days I will post them. Hope you had a nice Easter.

 
At 5:13 AM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

My mom had a Wilton cake decorating book that I loved to look at as a kid. I think it was the key thing that inspired me to start baking. Unfortunately, she gave it away. I would love to have kept it. Happy Easter!

 
At 10:09 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

Rochelle - Yes, there's still a lot of interest in the older Wilton yearbooks.

T.W.- I would have loved to have seen one the Wilton decorating books a kid, but I never did. (I did see lots of other craft books.) I can bake the cakes, but don't have near the patience for the decorating. Perhaps that's why I love to read cake decorating blogs and see cakes that others have created.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home