July 23, 2009

Simple Jell-O Dessert

I can't believe I've not posted anything for almost three months! I've never gone that long without posting something. I am fine, by the way, for those who those who have so kindly wondered where I've been. I'm amazed that anybody out there in cyberspace even wondered at all. I've been around, dealing with life, and my computer work kind of went by the wayside. (Having two different emails on two different computers, one of which I rarely turned on, didn't help things either.) My apologies to those who were concerned. I think I'm back. I hope so, anyway!

To get back into the swing of things, I've chosen something simple. Actually a response to an email I've received:

For many years, I used to make a wonderful dessert out of Jello and vanilla ice cream. The box size was different from the ones you are selling now. To one package of jello, all I had to do was add one cup of hot water and a pint of vanilla ice cream. Could you please tell me how many ounces were in the old box. My married daughters would love to make it for their families.
Although I'm not Kraft or Jell-O (or Borden's), I hope the information provided here will help.

I don't know the size of the old box the writer is referring to. As far as I can tell (and all I've ever actually seen) the boxes have always been 3 oz. and 6 oz., although they are sometimes referred to as the 4-serving size or the 8-serving size in the recipe booklets.

I found this recipe in The New Joys of Jell-O (1974, 128 pp). The recipe uses the 3 oz. boxes of Jell-O that are currently found on the shelves. This one creates a layered effect.

LAYERED BAVARIAN

1 package (3 oz.) Jell-O Gelatin, any flavor
1 cup boiling water
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup vanilla ice cream

Place gelatin in an 8- or 9-inch square metal pan. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved. Measure 1/2 cup into a bowl; set aside. Add cold water to remaining gelatin in the pan; freeze until thickened--about 15 minutes. Meanwhiile, blend ice cream into reserved gelatin. Spoon thickened clear gelatin into dessert glasses; top with ice cream-gelatin mixture. Or spoon ice cream-gelatin into glasses, top with the clear thickened gelatin. Chill 30 minutes. Makes about 2-1/2 cups or 4 or 5 servings.

Here's another variation found in Jell-O Fun and Fabulous Recipes (1988, 216 pages). This recipe is a bit simpler, with no layers.

GELATIN ICE CREAM DESSERT

1 package (4-serving size) JELL-O Brand Gelatin, any flavor
1 cup boiling water
2 cups (1 pint) ice cream, any flavor

Completely dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add ice cream by spoonfuls, stirring until ice cream is melted. Pour into individual dessert glasses or serving bowl. Chill until set, about 30 minutes. Garnish with fresh fruit, if desired.


6 Comments:

At 9:33 PM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I'm glad your back! I have this inexplicable attraction to all things Jell-O!

 
At 7:31 PM CDT, Blogger P-Dot said...

You are the source for all things "booklet". I remember this very well. It was the biggie dessert back in the day. Too bad that Jello has gone so out of style except for kids.
My youngest son worked for a time in the food industry and we moved to Arizona from the Seattle area where he was working at a 5 star restaurant. One day in horror he said to me, "Muuuthhher! They have Jello on the salad bar."
Glad to see you are back and happy that you are well and it's only life preventing your posting more often.

 
At 7:50 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

Thanks for the welcome back. I'm thinking of making this dessert one day soon, except I have it in my mind that I must first go out to the shed and dig out my vintage ice cream parfait dishes.

 
At 2:07 AM CDT, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

Glad to see you are posting again. I have missed reading your blog. I guess the "tuna trick" of making the weight of the can less and less and the price higher and higher has not got to Jello yet.

 
At 6:08 AM CDT, Blogger Kathy said...

Rochelle - Yeah, Jell-O just seems to be going with the higher and higher price scenario--so far!

 
At 8:22 AM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Welcome back Kathy!!!! I did miss you so. Yea!!!! Jell-O

 

Post a Comment

<< Home