December 16, 2009

Christmas Cookies

I'm one of those people who waits until the last minute to make my Christmas cookies. I don't have any particular recipes that I use year after year. I'm more impulsive, making what sounds good a day or so before I get ready to start baking. Many times I'm more interested in how I might creatively package the cookies than I am in the actual cookie itself.

I came across Party Best Butter Cookies (undated, 28 pp.) while looking through my booklets trying to get inspired. This looks similar to another Pillsbury Flour booklet that I wrote about last year. Same crease down the center, a few other sponsors besides Pillsbury--this booklet has Saran Wrap, the American Dairy Association and Sun Maid Raisins.

I agree with this advertisement from the American Dairy Association. I always use real butter.


The booklet is divided into several different types of cookies: Molded & Drop Cookies, Rolled Cookies, Variety Cookies, Cookie Service Ideas, Valentine's Day, Easter, Halloween, Birthdays and Receptions.

This recipe for Pepparkakor Cookies is used in several of the Christmas Service Ideas.



So is this recipe for Grandma's Sugar Cookies. The original owner of the booklet though these were good and notated it in the page margin. There are all kinds of ideas for using this basic sugar cookie recipe.






Like the booklet last year, this one also has some crafty projects such as this Sugarplum Tree:


How about these Modern Christmas Trees that use the Pepparkakor Cookies?



This page gives instructions (though no picture) for making a mobile with Christmas cookies as well as instructions for making a cookie cover from white net and clear plastic (which is pictured below).

This Pepparkakor Tree is cute, made with wooden dowels. Seems like you could paint it different colors and use it for other holidays besides Christmas.


This page for Holiday Cookie Snacks gives some dip and cheese spread recipes.

These Cookie Trees can be made with either the Pepparkakor Cookie recipe or Grandma's Sugar Cookie recipe.


These Nibbling Trees make use of styrofoam forms for table centerpieces:


Here's another craft project using 1-lb and 2-lb coffee cans. Now we have lots of plasict coffee cans--how's that going to work out?



There are other projects and ideas for other holidays.
The last page shows how to use Saran Wrap to make an attractive cookie gift package. It also has an offer for a cookbook from Dow called "Food from Famous Kitchens." Details were found inside the Saran Wrap packages and the booklet cost $1.


9 Comments:

At 12:15 PM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Oh you lucky girl! I have one of those booklets too! I often use it for inspiration although, I don't usually bake cookies anymore for the holidays.

I think yours is better than mine however, because, you have those little notes I cherish!

Thanks for sharing, Kathy:)

 
At 2:06 PM CST, Blogger Kristen said...

I have this booklet! I haven't looked at it in a while....it's hard to get to all of my cookbooks on a regular basis when I am constantly on the lookout for more. Thanks for featuring it and reminding me to dust off the pile of those I already have.

 
At 7:24 PM CST, Blogger Kathy said...

LOL Louise! I think I do more browsing than cooking these days. Is it my age--more ideas than energy and time? However, if I would stay off the computer I would probably get lots more done. So many inspiring ideas on the internet.

Kristen - I, too, have to remind myself to look through the ones I already have. You'd think there wasn't a need for more, but there's always a book of some description that I would like to have.

 
At 1:16 AM CST, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

I have that booklet too. I am in the process of trying to get all my holiday booklets together so they will be more useful. I like the cookie tree. I have seen in referred to elsewhere as a Swedish cookie tree.

 
At 8:18 AM CST, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

My grandmother made excellent butter spritz cookies. I don't know how she had the muscle to do it - I tried it once and the whole project flopped! Love the stack of cookies wrapped in Saran - that looks like a precursor of a Martha Steward presentation!

 
At 9:28 AM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Merry Christmas, Kathy!!!

 
At 5:47 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am looking for a particular vintage Pilsbury cookbook - help!!
It' been used at Christmas since 1984, well loved by my entire family. Sadly, the one page we just can't live without has fallen out during the year and can't be found anywhere.
It's from Pillsbury Classic #46 F06770 'Holiday Classics III', the fruit-filled Mandelbrodt, page 10. I've looked online to find something similar but to no avail. I'd sure appreciate any help with this. Thanks, Lisa

 
At 4:44 PM CST, Blogger Kathy said...

Lisa - I'm sorry but I don't have this book on my shelves--I sold the one copy. I've quickly browsed my uncataloged books but didn't see it. If I come across another copy, I'll post the recipe. Maybe another reader can help?

 
At 8:33 PM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

DEAR, DEAR, DEAR KATHY!!!!!!
I COULD JUST KISS YOU!!!!!
I HAVE SPENT ALL DAY TRYING TO FIND MY 87 YEAR OLD MOTHER'S CHRISMAS COOKIE BOOKLET IN WHICH IS OUR FAMILY FAVORITE RECIPE FOR PEPPARKAKOR COOKIES. I FOUND THE COVER PAGE AND PHONED THE AMERICAN DAIRY ASSOCIATION AND PILLSBURY WITH NO LUCK. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU- YOU HAVE SAVED A CHERISHED FAMILY COOKIE THAT WE HAVE HAD EVERY YEAR SINCE I WAS A CHILD(AGE 55 NOW). I WANT YOU TO KNOW I PRAYED THAT GOD WOULD HELP ME TO FIND THE RECIPE-AND HE DID-THROUGH YOU. GOD BLESS YOU. MY CHRISTMAS IS COMPLETE NOW.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home