May 22, 2010

Complimentary Meat Recipes

This little booklet, Meat Recipes and Menus (1949-1950, 40 pp.), was published by the Home Economics Department of the National Live Stock and Meat Board. The "Meat Board" was established in 1922 with the goal of promoting beef, lamb and pork through education, research and information.


This particular copy was given away during the holidays by Marron's Meat Market in Oakland, California.

The booklet is divided into different sections, the first few being different methods of preparing the meats: roasting, broiling, panbroiling, braising and cooking in liquid. It then addresses Sausages and Ready-to-Serve Meals and Leftover Meals. There's also a secion on Desserts.

It's illustrated with small black and white images of the finished dishes.


The recipes aren't just for boring old hamburgers and pot roasts. This recipe for Sweetbread Grill is found in the Broiling section.


There are Suggested Menu ideas for each recipe. Here are some examples:

Tropical Ham Slice, corn on the cob, asparagus spears, coleslaw, hot rolls, butter or margarine, apple dumplings, milk, coffee

Double-Stuffed Meat Loaf, green beans, parsleyed potatoes, tossed salad, hard rolls, butter or margarine, Party Pineapple Cheese Pie, coffee, milk

Lamb Loin Chops, potatoes au gratin, broccoli, minted peach salad, hot rolls, butter or margarine, double fudge cake, milk, coffee

P.S. - Don't forget the butter and margarine for your rolls!

This recipe for Brain Oysters, found in the Cooking in Liquid section, caught my eye. At first, I mistakenly thought it was a recipe for oysters.

BRAIN OYSTERS

1 pound brains
1 quart water
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
1 egg, beaten
Cracker crumbs
Lard or drippings for frying

Wash brains. Add water, salt and vinegar or lemon juice. Simmer 20 minutes. Drain and remove outer membrane. Separate brains into pieces about the size of an oysster. Dip in egg then in cracker crumbs. Fry in lard or drippings until well browned on both sides. 4 servings.

Undecided on what to serve with this lovely entree? Here's the Meat Board's suggestion: Brain Oysters, shoestring potatoes, green beans, Waldorf salad, bacon muffins, butter or margarine, apple brown betty, milk, coffee.

The use of lard as a cooking fat was quite common back then--it's in many of the main dish meat recipes and in this Homemade Biscuit Mix. They didn't leave it out of the cake and pastry recipes either.


There are plenty of Time Tables to help you out. There are invidivual Time Tables for Roasting, Broiling, Braising and Cooking in Liquid.


The handy index in the back of the booklet lists all of the recipes. I like the illustration on this page.

5 Comments:

At 9:45 PM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I'm curious what kinds of recipes were suggested for "leftover meat?" Was it casserole recipes?

 
At 1:33 AM CDT, Blogger Rochelle R. said...

The basic menus still sound like they would be fine today. The brain oysters made me laugh. My husband says his Mom would dip sliced brain in egg and crumbs, then fry. She told the family they were breaded veal cutlets. They weren't told the truth until years later. :)

 
At 7:04 PM CDT, Blogger Kristen said...

I am so glad that brains aren't cheap...or I might be tempted to actually try them. I love that they gave lard recipes, too. They weren't wasting anything back then.

 
At 10:44 AM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy!!!
I can definitely understand why you thought that recipe was for oysters. If I hadn't had the experience of eating a lot of brains in my childhood I would have thought the same thing.

Like Rochelle mentioned, it wasn't until many years later that my mother confessed that those "veal cutlets" were indeed brains. UG! I never liked them anyway. It actually prevented me from eating veal for many, many years...

It's good to "see" you. Cool booklet...

 
At 7:53 AM CDT, Blogger Polly said...

I looove your blog and am SO happy to have found you!!! I absolutely love old cook books and the old advertising recipe books are wonderful. I also have quite a collection, though not so large as yours. I recently gave a lot of mine to various grand daughters, who were delighted to have them. I still cook mostly in "the old way" as that is how I was raised and how I fed my own family!. I have tons of new cook books, but they will never replace my love for good old fashioned down home good recipes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home