January 26, 2009

Cottage Cheese Recipes

Introducing Cottage Cheese (1977, 32 pages), published by Borden Inc., was one of the booklets in their New Idea Book series.

Like some of the other booklets in the series, it cost 50 cents and had the five pre-punched holes in the left edge for insertion into a special binder.

While I like the look of the cover, with the four food dishes in sharp contrast to the white background and pretty blue lettering, I can't say I personally care much for many of the recipes found inside.

I like beets and I like cottage cheese, but mixing them together to make Pickled Pink Cottage Cheese doesn't look or sound appetizing to me.


And there's something about the curds of cottage cheese standing out amongst the other ingredients in this Molded Garden Cheese Salad that isn't very appealing either.

Perhaps that's the problem. You can see all too clearly the cottage cheese in most of the recipe photos. In my mind, I think they should blend in more.

The dessert recipes seem okay, but then, there's only a couple of photos. I'd be willing to try this Cottage Cheesecake.


COTTAGE CHEESECAKE

Makes one 9-inch cake.

1-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 cups Borden Cottage Cheese
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup (1/2 pint) Borden Light Cream
1/4 cup unsifted flour
3 tablespoons ReaLemon Reconstituted Lemon Juice
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Borden Whipping Cream, whipped
Chocolate syrup

Preheat oven to 350°. In medium bowl, combine crumbs, sugar and butter; mix well. Press on bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Chill. In blender container, blend cheese until smooth. Set aside. In large mixer bowl, beat eggs at high speed until fluffy; gradually beat in sugar. Add remaining ingredients except whipped cream and syrup. Mix well. Pour over crust. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Remove sides from pan. Chill. Spread whipped cream over top; drizzle with syrup. Refrigerate leftovers.

The rear cover is quite interesting to me because it shows a whole pile of Borden products spilling out of a brown grocery sack. It lists the products too, down below the photo. I noticed that there's a typo in the list: "Diary" instead of "Dairy,"

Hope there weren't any typos in the recipes.

7 Comments:

At 12:39 PM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

I have always had a problem adjusting to cottage cheese. I'm with you though when it comes to the cottage cheese cheesecake. But, I LOVE any kind of cheesecake so I may be a bit biased.

Thanks for sharing...

 
At 6:20 PM CST, Blogger Brigid said...

I think 1977 was the heyday of cottage cheese, because people thought it was a healthy food for dieters. I remember a "cheese danish" recipe from the original Atkins diet: A slice of toast topped with cottage cheese and cinnamon, and I believe lightly browned in the broiler. It was better than you might expect.

 
At 11:46 PM CST, Blogger P-Dot said...

I remember the Atkins toast, cottage cheese thing. It
WAS good.
I mentioned your collection at the Farmers Market during a little lull and I wish you could have heard the conversations. Since I live in Senior housing, there are a bunch of oldies and they all had a cook book story.
You would have loved it.

 
At 9:16 AM CST, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy,
There's an award over at my place with your name on it. Enjoy!

 
At 6:49 PM CST, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

I'm with you on these recipes. I have to admit, I love cottage cheese - small curd. But I like mine straight up!

 
At 11:18 PM CST, Blogger P-Dot said...

Found this website and thought of you and your investigations. Maybe you all ready know about it.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/

 
At 10:17 AM CST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is an Atkins Cottage Cheesecake recipe that I have been making for years and it is very low cal/low fat. here it is:

Pre Heat Oven to 350

In blender blend thoroughly until very smooth:

6 eggs
2 tbls lemon juice
3 tsp vanilla
2 tsp canola oil
12 pkgs equal
48 oz (2 containers) 2% cottage cheese

Pour into narrow long loaf pan. Top with cinnamon.

Bake for 45 mins to 1 hour or until firm. Turn off oven and leave in for another hour to let it set. Remove and place in refrigerator.

Trick: As you cut slices, put a folded piece of paper towel in the empty space to absorb the "water". (Cottage cheese has more water than cream chees and it will gather at the bottom of the pan if not absorbed) Replace as necessary

Not sure how many calories are in this recipe. Does anyone else know?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home