August 05, 2009

Fritos Golden Chips of Corn

I've been eating Fritos corn chips all my life. I usually eat them plain--straight-out-of-the-bag along with a sandwich, occasionally with the bean dip that Frito-Lay so conveniently sells as a go along, or in Frito Pie. I've never used them in a recipe.

Louise at Months of Edible Celebrations already did a nice piece on the history of Fritos during Snack Food Month back in February, so I won't go into that here, but I did want to mention some of the things in the Fritos recipe booklet, Recipes & Menus For All Occasions (1947, 32 pp.) ,that caught my eye.

The page below, "7 Dinners Each Week", shows a seven day menu plan where Fritos are incorporated into every daily dinner. Although I like Fritos well enough, even enjoying an occasional bag of Chili Cheese flavor without an accompanying sandwich, they're not something I consume on even a weekly basis.


This photo of a picnic spread appears pretty normal, although the sight of that Wonder Bread, sans the wrapper, makes me a little queasy.


Next time I have to make the comfort food meal and I have any Fritos in the pantry, I might consider using Fritos instead of saltine crackers for my breading on the salmon patties. It might work, though I'll have to pass on the rocket shapes.

Isn't the old packaging lovely? It still looks fairly similar today.

I wonder if Fritos might make an acceptable substitute for a cornbread flavor in these two recipes?

CHICKEN CON FRITOS

1 3-1/2 lb. Chicken (dressed and salted)
2 4-oz. bags Fritos
4 or 5 medium carrots
1/2 to 1 C. hot water
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. grated onion or very little garlic
1 to 2 C. cream gravy

Flour and fry chicken in enough fat to half cover. Remove chicken when nicely browned and use fat for making gravy. Place in a casserole dish, alternate layers of: chicken, Fritos, carrots, onion and any other vegetable desired. Add water and pressure cook at 15 lbs. pressure for 30 minutes--or add more water to dish and bake in a moderate oven for 1 hour. Garnish with crushed Fritos or chopped parsley, and serve hot.

Variations: More or different vegetables may be added, such as: English peas, tomatoes, diced celery, green pepper, or string beans. More salt may be added by rubbing the vegetables in salt. If you like high seasoning, rub the inside of casserole with a split garlic button and add pepper.

FRITO DRESSING

3 C. moistened Frito crumbs
1 C. moistened bread crumbs
3 tbsp. melted butter
1/2 C. celery, chopped
2 tsp. sage, or more salt and pepper

Mix moistened Frito crumbs, bread crumbs, onions, celery, salt, sage and pepper. Add melted butter and stuff fish, fowl, game or heart.

I might try this recipe (on a smaller scale) next time I make stuffed pork chops.

3 Comments:

At 8:16 AM CDT, Blogger T.W. Barritt at Culinary Types said...

Those photos are amazing! I'd love to be invited to a picnic like that, just to see what it's like. I'm a big fan of Frito Pie, too!

 
At 10:43 AM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy!!! I'm so glad to "see" you:)

I never figured you for a Frito Girl:) I'm going to grab this link and add it to Snack Food Month. (thanks so much for the mention:)

Salmon patties with crushed Fritos is sounding mighty fine right about now.

GREAT post Kathy. I simply adore these vintage booklets!

 
At 11:40 AM CDT, Blogger ~~louise~~ said...

Hi Kathy, Just dropped by to let you know I'm having a free recipe book give-away at my blog. Drop by if you get a chance...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home